Operation Autism is a web-based resource specifically designed and created to support military families that have children with autism. It is the shared product of the vision and energy of the Organization for Autism Research (OAR) and the funding support of the American Legion Child Welfare Foundation. OAR’s intent in developing this resource is to:
• Provide military families touched by autism with access to quality, evidence-based information about the disorder,
• Identify sources of treatment and support on and off base,
• Offer tips for dealing with some of the unique challenges military life poses for military dependent children with autism and their families,
• Inform parents about their child’s educational rights and offer some practical strategies for success in the classroom,
• Provide a forum where military parents of children with autism can ask questions, share information and ideas, and lend mutual support.
Operation Autism would not have become a reality without the American Legion Child Welfare Foundation’s belief in the project and OAR and its generous financial support. In addition, OAR offers special thanks to:
Danielle Kruglak (Vanderbilt University) and Kate Rice (James Madison University), OAR’s summer 2009 interns, who researched and combined all the information found in the Resources Directory, and fall intern, Sarah Schuyler, who took on the task of loading all the content to the site.
Erin Clemens and Katie Alexander, two military spouses with professional experience providing treatment for children with autism, for volunteering their time, talent, and ideas writing portion of this resource and its hard copy companion, Life Journey through Autism: A Guide for Military Families.
Alyssa Kruszyna, Assistant Director, Research and Programs, at OAR, who coordinated the interns, served as the project liaison and lead with the web designer, and ensured the site’s content was loaded and complete before being launched.
Omni Studio and its web design team for its outstanding technical work, guiding hand, and genuine interest in the project and delivering the highest quality product for the men and women that serve our country in the U.S. Armed Forces.